Why have a massage?
Massage has been around for along time. Massage therapy research tells us there are so many reasons why massage can help us feel better.
Take a look at these statistics on stress and stress-related problems:
American Institute of Stress - Time Magazine
- “(Job stress is “the 20th Century Disease”)” United Nations National Report
- 75-90% of visits to primary care physicians are for stress related problems
- 1 million employees are absent on an average workday due to stress related problems -National safety council estimate
- Less than 25% of Americans find their jobs extremely satisfying today.
- 78% describe their jobs as being stressful.
- Stress costs 200 - 300 billion annually, as assessed by absenteeism, diminished productivity, employee turnover, accidents, direct medical, legal, and insurance fees, Worker’s Compensation etc. That is equal to the total net profit of the fortune 500 companies.
- 60-80% of accidents on the job are stress related.
- The World Health Organization identified job-related stress as a worldwide epidemic.
- 65% of North Americans take prescription medications daily, 43% take mood altering prescriptions regularly.
- Alcohol is commonly used to cope with anxiety. 72% of Canadians consume alcohol each year.
So back to the original question of why massage?
Quite simply, massage is one of the oldest forms of healing. It is a drug-free and non-invasive way of helping to relieve pain, stress and tension. It can help you cope better with stress and has shown to be effective in helping to reduce anxiety. If stress is getting the better of you, why not try one?
Benefits of Massage:
1. Relieves stress and promotes an overall feeling of relaxation, helping you breathe and move more easily.
2. Alleviates pain and tension and helps you manage pain better.
3. Promotes faster recovery from injuries (work, trauma, accident or sport related).
4. Increases mobility and provides greater joint flexibility and range of motion.
5. Improves circulation (blood and lymph).
6. Improves and strengthens immune system.
7. Relieves musculoskeletal problems and improves posture
8. Relieves pregnancy discomforts.
9. Reduces anxiety and promotes an overall feeling of well-being.
10. Increases body awareness and increases body-mind connection.